75100385

If a Fracking company intends to drill horizontally under

If a Fracking company intends to drill horizontally under your land and you wish to inform them that you do not grant permission for this activity, under what Act of Trespass do you quote? Is it covered by the Criminal Justice & Public Order Act 1994, or is there an older Act of Trespass which is more relevant.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Its bad news I am afraid.

Alex Watts :

You do not own all the land under your house.

Alex Watts :

You own six foot underneath your house. Historically, you used to own to the centre of the Earth, but the government changed the law in the 20th century as they wanted the rights to any oil found underneath your house.

Alex Watts :

Mineral and mining rights are completely seperate from land ownership.

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Alex Watts :

Customer:

No thank you. If Fracking is excluded then there is no additional action I can take.

Alex Watts :

Sadly no.

Alex Watts :

If there is damage caused then you can sue, but that's it

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else?

Customer:

no thank you