31090051

ASK FOR JGM, PLEASE ENTER INTO CHAT HERE :)

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

JGM : How can I help you?
Customer:

hi

Customer:

Just saw your reply

Customer:

Hope you're still here

JGM : Ues
JGM : Yes
Customer:

ok

Customer:

it's a bit long so is it ok?

JGM : Best tell me if it's Scots Law or English Law first
Customer:

English

JGM : in that case unless it's cross border I can't help you. What is the subject.
Customer:

Are you scots law?

JGM : Yes but also subjects that are cross border, such as tax, employment, company law etc as the law is the same in both places.
Customer:

Ok

Customer:

Then this is also ok

Customer:

Is it generally true that a country would not extradite their own?

JGM : No, that is not true. It depends on what treaties exist between the companies concerned. What is your specific question?
Customer:

Usually extradition happens when the crime is very serious correct?

JGM : Countries not companies, sorry, iPad auto correct.
Customer:

No problem

JGM : Again, it depends on the country and the crime, but in theory any crime can be subject to an extradition treaty. However, a country won't bother with the expense unless the crime is serious
Customer:

What about minor instances of blackmailing?

JGM : Details?
Customer:

This is hypothetical only

Customer:

What would happen is someone used a fake idenity so a fake name on the internet to blackmail someone overseas.

Customer:

However, in return the person has blackmailed the person back again

Customer:

One thing though is that

Customer:

Person A: Let's say is the person who is the lender

Customer:

Person B is the debtor

Customer:

As lined out in the previous case

Customer:

A and B had initially agreed on an exchange of mutual benefit so that B would allow A to publish his academic papers in academic journals under her name. However, A had decided not to honour upon the agreements which were already agreed through a virtual conversation on skype. Hence B was saying something along the lines such as "If you do not honour your agreement or offer me something new, or you tell your institution of this academic fraud and rewrite a paper, I will have no choice but to tell your school"

Customer:

In fact Person B is in the UK, in Scotland actually.

Customer:

But Person B firmly believes that the demands are warranted as there was an unhonoured agreement, and, it was his work.

Customer:

Person A is someone whom resides in a country where the UK has extradition treaties with

Customer:

What was said between A and B is unclear but much of the proof has already been deleted and, in Person A's jurisdiction, blackmailing can only occur via face to face and telephone calls.

Customer:

All was said through messagining applications and Skype, and in a convoluted way.

JGM : What is your main worry about this then? Is there a public interest to prosecute this issue in the country that could ask for extradition?
Customer:

No

Customer:

Main thing is that

Customer:

Person B is due to travel back to Person A's country. As remembered Person A said if the debt is cleared nothing would be perused, should Person B just remain in the UK for the time being to stay safe? Would that be a safer move?

JGM : A debt is not a criminal matter, it is a civil law issue between two persons. I have no information that would lead me to suggest that Person B should remain in the UK.
Customer:

Because of the blackmailing

Customer:

BUt do you think that condition is a warranted demand

Customer:

Since A agreed something with B

Customer:

A didnt uphold it

Customer:

Hence B found ways to put it to A that if this is not honoured I will have to disclose it unless you write a new one

JGM : No
Customer:

Sorry?

JGM : i am not following this. I wonder if one of your earlier posts has not reached me. What is the practical concern here?
Customer:

Ok

Customer:

11:28 PM

Since A agreed something with B

11:28 PM

A didnt uphold it

11:28 PM

Customer:

Something like

Customer:

"There are three options for you to choose from, we could start a relationship again, you can honour your agreement, or we won't talk again and be enemies. However, if you decide to reconstruct your essay and owe up to your institution that you committed academic fraud, I will not peruse it." something like this was said is iit blackmailing

JGM : Sorry, without specifics and background It this very difficult to help you. I am going to opt out in favour of another expert.
Customer:

its ok

Customer:

i thikn you helped

Customer:

can i rate you and you request to lock this question

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Yes, once you have rated you can close the question.
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.