13262538

Regarding inheritance... My grandma (Mollie, aged 87) has always

Customer Question

Regarding inheritance... My grandma (Mollie, aged 87) has always been adamant that anything she owned would be left to her 3 children upon her death. She also put aside around £16k to be shared between her 4 grandchildren. (Of which I am one, my sister Katie is the 2nd.
She had 3 children- Jimmy, Janet and Michael.
Jimmy was our dad. Sadly he died of cancer suddenly, in 2012. Michael does not have children, and Janet has 2- our cousins Steven and Victoria.

Myself and cousin Victoria have children also- I have 2, Victoria 1.

I don't want to approach the subject with her as I fear it may make me look like a money grabber, which is not the case. I simply want to know if her estate would now be shared between her 2 living children, or weather or not my dads share would be passed down to my sister and I.

I know if my dad were still alive- he would have passed it to us anyway, and I, in turn, would put anything received into trust funds for my young children- which I am sure my grandma would approve of, and wish for.

So my question is- would it be standard practice to pass my dads inheritance down to us or not? Or would it depend on her will wording?
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you
To an extent it does indeed depend on the wording that was used.
If there is specific provision for his children (or someone else) to be substituted then that is the end of the matter
If there is no such provision then all is not lost as there is in fact an assumption - where the testator is a parent or grandparent - that the children of the deceased beneficiary will inherit UNLESS the Will specifically excludes this possibility
I am sorry not to be able to give you a decisive reply
Please ask if you need further details