29905560

I am 5 months into an 15 month energy tariff contract, one

I am 5 months into an 15 month energy tariff contract, one of four options which my current supplier had offered. I have now received notification from the supplier that they will be terminating this tariff at the end of March 2014 and have offered newer tariffs to consider. What are my rights over this issue, must I accept one of these new options which are all at higher rates or change supplier?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Have you checked your contract to see what your rights are in terms of the changes being introduced, your right to leave, etc?

Customer:

I'll have to locate the contract and examine the small print. Then get back to you. Thanks

Ben Jones :

ok no problem, thank you

Customer:

Ben,

Customer:

Ben,I have checked my contract (on-line) with First Utility and found the T&Cs embedded deeply.

Customer:

The version of the T&Cs was issued in February 2014 so it may differ from the version valid at the time I took the initial contract in 2012. The T&Cs do note under "Changes to the contract" that FU can "change the terms of the contract and our prices" and "If the changes are required or of changes to the industry agreements under which we operate or changes imposed by any governmental or regulatory body or authority, e.g OFGEM.......... , Ithink the latter gives the excuse to withdraw the current tariff and offer a new one at higher prices.

Customer:

I'm not happy but it looks as if I have to live with it. It appears that they could do this at any time within a fixed price period contract just to get in a price increase. Look forward to your comment.

Ben Jones :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX one final question - you mentioned that you were on a 15-month contract, was that a fixed-price tariff where you were guaranteed prices for the period, or was it just a period for which you signed up but without a fixed tariff in place?

Customer:

Ben,

Customer:

It is a "iSave v15" price tariff. I now assume "v" means variable.

Customer:

I also assume that this tariff withdrawal is one of the latest rulings by Offgem that should ensure clarity of tariffs and reduction in the number of them being offered. However should the new rulings apply to future supply contracts rather than replacing existing ones with new ones? Doing the latter enables a price increase to be applied.