Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

2. Building regs: Outbuilding does not have BR for use as sleeping

2. Building regs: Outbuilding does not have BR for use as sleeping acco and if i establish a breach, clearly regs have been disregarded. Any possible legal action or penalties for this? I have complied with most regs, have electrical safety and used 'non combustible' construction materials and fire safety. will be back 14.30 to continue. tx
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

BRs are enforceable by building control for a period of 12 months from the date of completion by the LA unless they can show a strucutre is dangerous. However if you wish to sell the property eventually as sleeping accommodation most buyers will wish to see BRs anyway despite the above so it is worth considering obtaining them retrospectively.

Joshua :

In addition if you are renting out the property then you are bound by the Housing Act under which councils can take action if any part of the building rented is not safe for the tenant and accordingly obtaining retrospective BRs gives you some comfort that this should not be an issue for you.

Joshua :

There is no criminal offence committed though.

Customer:

tx, let me understand that and get back to u after 14.30.

Joshua :

No problem

Customer:

hi again Josh, I think i am clear on the BRs, sounds straighforward.

Customer:

does justanswer.co.uk allow us to share docs?

Joshua :

You can upload images normally. However the site is not secure so I would caution you against uploading sensitive or personal material