12826847

parkin fines

Hi dear, I had a car 2 years ago, i have sold it but somewhere lost the looc book and don't changed my name. I got plenty of parking fines from different council. I have sent lot of email and letter, but nothing happened. I get it the letters from the bailiff company now, that i must to be pay. I have a certificate from the DVLA, that not me the registered owner and it's not enough for the bailiff company. What can I do now? Can you help for me? Best regards, Robert

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

When did you receive the tickets please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for you quick answer.

I have sold this car at 14/09/2012 and I got the first ticket middle of november 2012, then later, about 50 more. I replied to letters that I sold the car. Nothing happened.
I contacted the DVLA middle of last year and they sent a certificate, that I'm not the registered keeper of this vehicle from 14/09/2012, but this document not enought for the bailiff company

When did the DVLA change over the ownership details?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have sent the look book at 09/2012 to the DVLA, but i think lost somewhere. I have sent the letter to DVLA 04/2012
I never had insurance on this vehicle, I never used that one

Were the fines issued before the changeover or after?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Before the changeover

That is a problem I'm afraid.

Do the bailiffs accept you don't have the car now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no,They don't accept,he sad Today, I must to be go to a Citizen advisor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes he need from me vehicle or goods, but not I did the parking fines, I'll not pay

Sorry?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no, they didn't accept.

OK. Thanks.

I just need about 10 mins to type out an ansewr if thats OK?
Thanks for the information and the time.

I am sorry but I cannot give you good news then. I’m afraid you are in difficulty here.

The difficulty that you have here is that at the time the fines were issued you were the registered keeper and so liable for the fines. There's no way of sugar coating it I'm afraid. That is why you should always tell the DVLA of a change of ownership early.

You can always pay the bailiffs and then recover by suing the person to whom you sold the car.

Or you could try to sue the bailiffs to recover but then you need to prove the date of sale and you may lose on that point anyway because you failed to tell the DVLA of the transfer.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.