12826847

a plumbing and heating company asked me to sign off a lpg boiler

Customer Question

a plumbing and heating company asked me to sign off a lpg boiler they installed in a property they are gas safe registered for natural gas but not for lpg i commissioned the boiler and filled in the commissioning document. There has been a safety issue brought up and it turns out the boiler was fitted not to manufacturers instructions and a couple of other defects have also come to light with the installation the customer who owns the house is holding me responsible i am going to correct the faulty work but where do i stand with a claim for all the remedial work like boxing in the new work and decorating and also they had to have a temporary repair done which they claim is £600 which i believe to be well over the actual cost of temp repair which they are also trying to claim back i offered to do the repair at the time and the customer said no.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is AJ and I will assist you.

When you signed off the certificate did the company pay you?

Was there a reason why you missed the issues with the boiler? Would anyone have missed them?

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i help the other company out sometimes and they normally pay but i dont believe i got paid for this work i missed the faults only due to me believing it was all done correctly as he is gas qualified also there was a problem with the way the flue was connected and this was not visible and on the report i sent to the other firm i said there was no access to view the flue joins which is not allowed any more they have to have an access panel of some sort i told the plasterer working there at the time to not seal it all in. my company has gone bankrupt in this time and i work for another company now owned by my partner but the gas safe inspector has said i still have to correct the work in question or face court action

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Have they said you have to pay for the repairs as well?

In my mind the £600 repairs they are claiming for should be the responsibility of the company that did the installation.

I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes they said i have to pay for the temporary repair and all boxing in and making good all work and damages and to pay for redecorating i am due to go back there in the morning but before i start the work i have to agree to one of 3 options that the customer has come up with option 1 select another company to carry out the work at a rough cost to me of 4000 and i have to pay it into the other companies account by the 14th march option 2

i complete all works and pay £600 or option 3 i replace the boiler with one that maybe ok to fit in this installation option 3 isnt an option as there is no such boiler that can go there

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

as i am bankrupt i dont have access to these amounts of money they are asking for

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Evidently you have been told by the regulator you have to do the repair. However as for the £600 if you don't have it then that is something they will have to accept. If you can t pay the money it is not like they can make you bankrupt again.

Can you make the repairs without expending any money?

AJ