12826847

Please help. My son rents a private let in Worcs with 5 others,

Customer Question

Please help. My son rents a private let in Worcs with 5 others, 2nd yr students. Paid £500 deposit each held securely and signed itinery. 6 months into 12 month tenancy. Landlord is demanding payment NOW for some accidental breakages, one of which, door entry system, not on itinery. We are not refusing to pay out of the deposit but he has threatened legal action if not paid by 10 March. They do not have that amount of money and neither do us guarantors. Surely that is what deposit is for? Might it be that he is worried that the deposit people may refuse his claim at the end of the term? He keeps emailing them threatening them and us guarantors. We feel he is bullying the lads. Any damage has been accidental so should surely come out of deposit? Can he demand money now? We can't see any mention of this in the contract! Very worried...

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What type of contract is this please?