My niece has been involved in a traffic accident which was

Customer Question

My niece has been involved in a traffic accident which was her fault. The police were involved and she has made a statement. Although only suffering minor injuries, the two passengers in her car are now threatening to sue for damages. Her insurance was through her father's multi-car policy. Allegedly the insurance company are asking my niece to attend a meeting to explain what happened, despite making the statement to police. A representitive from the DVLA will also be present. Understandably she is afraid to attend this meeting. Is this type of meeting normal and if it is standard procedure, should she have her own legal representitve present?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

This is a meeting organised by the insurance company?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is what her father is telling her

This kind of meeting is not normal and is not normal procedure.

I cannot think for one moment why a representative from DVLA will be present.

What is likely is that they are trying to establish whether this was genuinely her father's car or whether the reality was that it was her car on his insurance.

It is quite common for parents to do this if their children find that car insurance is expensive.

If they are stopped by the police, they are of course insured however if there is an incident like this, the insurance company can refuse to pay up.

If the two passengers in her car sue her for their injuries, and if for any reason the insurance company will not cover it, then she is faced with dealing with the legal proceedings herself.

If she does not have the money to pay for the injuries and any solicitor's costs if the other passengers use solicitors, they can actually make her bankrupt, although that will not give them any compensation. It does however draw a line under events.

She is or was entitled to have legal representation if she wishes that choices hers as it will not be an interview under caution unless she is advised that it is by the person from DVLA

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was definately her car on his insurance and the insurance company know this.

One passenger had only a split lip and the other 'trauma' which has just 'come on'. I wonder whether their parents are involved promoting the severity of their injuries.

She's only seventeen and clearly in distress about the whole incident. I'd not heard of any such meetings and wanted clarity which you have provided.

Many thanks,

Sometimes people who have had only minor injuries like this will be wound up by family and friends to go and see no-win no fee solicitors to bring a claim.

In any accident, it is not at all difficult to bring a claim for whiplash.

Unfortunately, the solicitor's costs will inflate the amount of the claim considerably.

With regard to the "trauma" the claimant is going to have to come up with some kind of medical evidence that there is some psychological injury before that becomes actionable.

If you need any more clarification after the meeting, please do not hesitate to ask
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile