I am been harassed by my energy company I use, for an amount

Customer Question

I am been harassed by my energy company I use, for an amount of £36.39. This amount is the difference of a direct debit they changed!
Firstly I received a letter stating that if I did not set up a direct debit then there would be an admin cost of £4.00. Straight away i contacted them as my direct debit had been set up and running for many months at £150.00. After speaking to representative for the company she told me that everything was in good standing and that they had changed my direct debit to £113.61 from £150.00, but she didn't know why and told that she had would put it back to the usual £150. The direct debit left my account a couple of days later for £113.61 as she said it would as it wouldn't be changed back until the following month. So a few days later I receive a letter saying that I owe £36.39 and is over due. I contacted them again and was told that they are not sure why I'm receiving these letters as everything is up to date. They positively told me that this would stop and they will send a strong email to collections to have this stopped at once. I then receive a text message 3 days after saying that my account is overdue by 81 days? A further 2 days and a letter arrives on my door mat threatening court action if I don't pay £36.39 but from a collections agent. I contacted them again to which I was cut off when the representative tried to put through to someone who could help! Which said office now closed. In total I have spent over an hour in call queues for something I'm not responsible for I suffer from stress and it's also adding worry to my partner. What can I do?

Mr Ledgar

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What are you hoping to do about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Try to get it resolved as soon as possible, which so far isn't working.
Is this fair practice from them am I entitled to any form of compensation for all the trouble I seem to having with them?
What financial loss have you suffered?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Other than £22 to yourself none. But a hole lot of stress and time trying to resolve a problem I never created
Thats a problem I'm afraid.

What about the cost of the phone calls?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The calls have been made from my mobile so they are included in my unlimited minutes, as far as I'm aware there contact number isn't a higher charged tariff. My other concern is the letter from a debt collections agency as this will have negative effects on my credit file from there mistakes?
No, it won't. That is just a letter from a debt collection agency whihc will not impact at all upon your credit rating.

Your credit rating will not be affected unless they add a default to it which they haven't done at this stage.

Sorry if Im missing the point but do you accept owing the money?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The point is that I have been paying £150 via direct debit for months until one day they changed it to a lower amount of £113.61 but sent me a letter telling me I had no direct debit set up! I questioned it with them and they were wrong, it was still set up. I've since had to contact them on three occasions as I'm been sent letters and text that I owe the difference, but when I speak to them to rectify it they tell everything is fine with the account and it's a problem with there collections department. But still I'm receiving letters? How long does this have to go on, why change the amount to then contact me via letter 3 days later after speaking to them, to tell me I owe £36.39?
Yes, I understand all of that.

But do you owe the money?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why is it relevant if I owe the money? I have tried to pay the money but keep been told everything on the account is ok
The relevance is that the money is owed so they are not acting unlawfully.

I do appreciate that you tried to pay but its a simple enough matter of putting a cheque in the post to them. You don't need to have a telephone conversation with them about it.

They haven't added a default to your account yet but if they do then it would be difficult to dispute because the money is due.

If they are chasing in funds due then this doesn't amount to harassment. In any event, it would be hard to quantify the loss arising from it because you have not suffered financially. For that reason its difficult to bring any claim as there is no ascertainable loss.

I do appreciate your point. Essentially your complaint is that this has all arisen from their own inefficiency which is true but it doesn't mean the money isn't due.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.