75100385

I am on life licence i am allowed to change my name, but have

I am on life licence i am allowed to change my name, but have been told that the victims family will be informed of my
new name, i don't believe this to be true, in terms of notifying victims family. Please advise.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Could you explain the situation a little more?
Customer:

I was convicted of murder for a fight with another man. It's almost 20 years ago.I decided upon release to have a complete fresh start, as i beleive victims family and friends would see harm to me if they could and secondly i,ve created a lot of victims in my life pre 1994 and dont want to create any more,if anyone were to turn up seeking retribution.I decided to change my name, spoke to my probation officer who has told me that the area manager (probation) has said the victims family will be informed, i can't understand how this would be correct.Upon replying could you give me the case law details of any one who as a lifer challenge this point also

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

You are entitled to change your name. The Probation are entitled to tell the family your name has changed.

Alex Watts :

However they are NOT entitled to tell the family what it is changed to

Alex Watts :

Arguably this is a breach of the Data Protection Act

Alex Watts :

The fact they did know your name is XXXXX XXXXX because proceedings would have been in open Court.

Alex Watts :

But because you change your name, they can't simply tell the family your new name, they have no right

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Is there a ruling i can quote, in relation to this matter

Alex Watts :

It is the Data Protection Act 1998

Customer:

Thankyou:-)

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/