UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

can you please advise me if the malaysian data Protection legislation

can you please advise me if the malaysian data Protection legislation applies to buisness contact information
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its just a general qiestion about the Malaysian DP. Does it only apply to personal and sensative data - or does it apply to coimmercial business data likle a persons name and job title on a business card etc

Section 2(1) of the Malaysian Personal Data Protection Act states that the Act applies to any person who processes, and any person who has control over or authorises the processing of, any personal data in respect of commercial transactions.

‘Commercial transactions’ refers to transactions of a commercial nature (i.e. business related) and the definition of ‘personal data’ would include personal information collected in day to day transactions e.g. name, address, telephone number, email address, banking details and identification card numbers.

Hope this helps