12826847

Hi, I have been accused of doing 42MPH in 30MPH zone on 8/2/14.

Customer Question

Hi, I have been accused of doing 42MPH in 30MPH zone on 8/2/14. I got a letter from car retal agency on 25/2/14 saying I will hear from Police. I have received my NIP on 5/3/14 and its dated 3/3/14. Does the 14 day rule apply as the NIP has had to get to me via the rental agency?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Just to clarify, you received the NIP 5/3/14?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

To clarify: The car rental company will have recieved the NIP before 25/2/14 which is the date they wrote to me which is max 16 days from event so not sure if they got it on time and not sure if I can find that out. I got the NIP to my home address on 5/3/14 which is 25 days from event.

I'm afraid the 14 day rule doesn't apply.

The reason is that the original NIP sent out within 14 days would have gone to the registered keeper - the car rental company.

When it reaches you as the driver is a non issue although they do need to get the matter into court within 6 months.

NIPs do not have to reach the driver in 14 days. They just have to be sent to the registered keeper in that time.

I'm very sorry if this is bad news.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/