UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

my son is about to turn eighteen he was born in ireland.but

my son is about to turn eighteen he was born in ireland.but has lived here since the age of three.he is at college at the moment and is going to university in september.me and his mum have been together for 26 years but are not married.she is irish and I am english by birth. how do we gdt him a british passport.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

When will he turn 18?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

11 of this month.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he will turn eighteen next week on the 11

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.

I will prepare my answer shortly
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok

As you are not married to your son's mother, you will need to apply for your son's registration as a British citizen first before he can apply for a British passport.

You have to do this before he turns 18, otherwise your son will have to apply for naturalisation as an adult,once he turns 18 and the process will be more complex.

The form to use is MN1
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/261586/form_mn1.pdf

You should fill the form today if possible and send it off by special delivery next day to the Home Office as the application must reach them before your son's 18th birthday. If you send it today or tomorrow, it will reach on Monday and be in time.

Hop this helps