UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

To call an EGM I know there is a 14 day notice, but do there

To call an EGM I know there is a 14 day notice, but do there have to be a certain number of signatories to request this?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Shareholders holding at least 10% shares in the company have the power to make directors call an EGM.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I'm the secretary of a ladies choir, not a company, so no shares involved. I just thought something like six members of the choir had to sign in order to cal an EGM.

Wjat is the legal structure of the choir?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not sure I understand question. The choir has a membership of 53 and a committee of thirteen including the Chair, Treasurer and myself. We had a bit of a fracas in practice this week and our Vice-Chair called an emergency committee meeting for Monday, but one committee member is pressing for an EGM. Our AGM is scheduled for May. We knew about the fourteen day notice, but I just wanted to confirm that a single member of the committee can call an EGM without any other signatories on the request!

Is the choir a limited company?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No.

What is it then please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's just a ladies choir which meets for weekly rehearsals and performs mostly for charities in the area. We pay subscriptions every week and we pay our musical team. My question may seem a little top heavy for an amateur organisation, but I was just anxious to get my facts right before I tell the member the exact approach she has to make to call an EGM. This might be difficult for you to work with and I will understand if you cannot help. Appreciate what you have said so far.

I am afraid in the absence of by laws or a constitution governing the operation of the choir, there is not much that can be said as it all depends on custom and practice that the choir has followed in the past.

Hope this helps