Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I have a friend who is very concerned because he owes his landlord

I have a friend who is very concerned because he owes his landlord rent but my friend has been filmed by a tv crew while he was evicted and when he returned to collect his possessions.The landord agreed to this with the tv crew but my friend did not agree and does not want it filmed.Can the tv crew film him without his permission and show this on a future programme..
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

Has your friend been asked to sign a release form by the TV crew please to authorise the release of the footage of him?

Customer:

No he has not signed anything connected with the tv crew

Joshua :

Thanks. They are entitled to film in the street but if your friend is identifiable or speaks on camera they will need to obtain a release form from him for him to authorise the inclusion of the footage in the documentary. If they do not have this release form they may not film him in a way that allows him to be identified.

Joshua :

They can still potentially show the footage but would need to remove features that allow your friend to be identified in order to do so. You have probably seen when they include people in documentaries with obscured faces in the background and so on. This is because those people have not signed release papers.

Joshua :

Here they would need to remove his face, and any address making the property and so your friend identifiable if he does not sign release papers.

Joshua :

if your friend is concerned about their intentions he may consider contacting the production company for clarification on what the propose to do with his footage.

Joshua :

Is there anything above I can clarify for you?

Customer:

Thats very interesting but does owing rent allow my friend to be filmed for this programme and is there any way we could stop this been shown.

Joshua :

Not in any way. If he owes rent, then he owes rent to the landlord and nothing more. It does not give the landlord any right beyond the right to recover the rent. Now had your friend for example agreed with the landlord to be filmed in return for the landlord forgiving him the rent or part of it then this could be a legally binding agreement for your friend to be filmed but I presume nothing of this sort was agreed between your friend and the landlord.

Joshua :

On the basis that this was the case then the production company are required to have signed release papers in order to show your friend in an identifiable fashion in the documentary.

Joshua :

Does the above answer all your questions or is there anything I can clarify or help you with any further?

Joshua :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer:

. Thank you very much for your excellent answer

Joshua :

A pleasure. If I can assist any further as the situation develops please do not hesitate to revert to me

Joshua :

If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to rate my service to you today. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though.