Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

On 1st Feb this year I took my daughters wedding dress to a

On 1st Feb this year I took my daughters wedding dress to a local dry cleaners with a return date of 5th Feb. To date we have not be able to get the dress back, we keep being stone-walled. There was obviously a problem and we have been unable to get any sort of satisfactory explanation. Repeated promises to contact us are never kept. The dress cost £1700 and I paid £65 for cleaning. I believe the dress has either been lost or badly damaged.
Expert:  Kasare replied 3 years ago.
Good morning, thank you for your question, I will assist you with this.

I would suggest you write what is known as a letter before action. Make sure you find out if this letter is a sole trader or a limited company to ensure it is sent to the correct place. In this letter advise the shop that you expect either a) the dress back (in the good condition that it was in when you left it in their custody) or b) compensation for the cost of the dress and the cleaning.

Advise them that if a formal response is not received within 14 days of receipt of the letter, then legal proceedings will be commenced without further notice.

This is the Ministry for Justice guidance on pre-action conduct, what needs to be included in the letter and what the defendant (the cleaner) should do. Please read the information on this link to assist you: http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/pd_pre-action_conduct#A

If the cleaner does not reply, then you should issue a claim. This can now be done online using Money Claim - here is the link for this - https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome. In the claim you will be seeking damages for the cost of the dress, the cost of the cleaning and legal costs.

I hope this assists you, if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.