Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

My sons girlfriend walked out of there relationship some 4-5

Customer Question

My sons girlfriend walked out of there relationship some 4-5 years ago without warning with another man. They had been together some 16 years, from school age. He was left with the mortgage and all the domestic bills which he has paid, stuggling at times. He has attempted to contact her many times, as she has not contributed anything towards the house since the day she left even thou the mortgage and bills remain in joint names. He has to date never got a reply, now we dont know where she resides. His situation has changed, he now has a new girlfriend, live in, and they are working together towards a long term relationship. They want to move forward and make the house there home and jointly share the mortgage and bills. How can he move forward when the first girlfriends name remains on the house mortgage, can it be removed and what can they do.
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

Do you whether your son and his ex-partner entered into any form of declaration of trust when they purchase the property please?

Joshua :

Are you aware whether they contributed towards the property deposit roughly equally when it was purchased?

Joshua :

Would you like to continue?

JACUSTOMER-3wjhguct- :

YES THEY BOTH CONTRIBUTED EQUALLY BEFORE SHE LEFT THERE WAS NO DECLARATION JUST A STRAIGHT FORWARD MORTGAGE DEAL.