75100385

I have just notice that British Gas have registered a default

I have just notice that British Gas have registered a default notice against me. It was in respect of a property I lived in two years ago and clearly forgot to pay the final bill.

I never actually opened an account with British Gas as I switched the supplier as soon as I arrived. The bill was therefore in respect of my first couple of weeks of residency. I understand that during this period there is an implied contract between us.

However, I'm not sure whether there was a contract for credit between us as payment was demanded in advance, with a week of moving in as I recall.

My question is:

Is this classed as a contract for credit / can a contract for credit be implied, even where payment is requested in advance?

Could the answer refer to a specific case or written legislation please.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm happy to wait a little longer but please could you cancel after a week.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Were you paying BG bills?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I immediately switched to Scottish Power after moving in. Moved out a few months later and forgot about the BG bill.

But you accept it was for the period you were there?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. I am not/have never queried whether the debt is actually owed, and repaid it as soon as I found out.

My question is whether there could have been a credit agreement between us. I understand the basics of law and that there was an implied contract when I moved in, what I do not understand is what constitutes a contract/agreement for credit, and whether such an agreement could be implied.

Credit agreement - no.

Do not get this confused with something like a loan or credit card. This is regulated by the Consumer Credit Act.

This is a debt owed on ACCOUNT. You are not having an account for credit. So the CCA does not apply.

But by USING energy then yes there is an implied contract.

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience