Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I live in sheltered accommodation with Sanctuary Housing since

I live in sheltered accommodation with Sanctuary Housing since June 1997. Then I would get every July a breakdown in increases for the next financial year. The Service charge would show every item separately and the increase, so one could see exactly how much it had increased by from one year to another. Now we get no information, just a letter informing us with everything lumped together. I thought if one paid a Service Charge you should know item by item, otherwise how do we know if we have finished paying for an item.
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

May I ask if you own your lease to your property or if you rent it (for example a housing assocation home for which you pay monthly rent) please?

Customer: Rent from Sanctuary Housing for which I pay rent weekly
Joshua :

Thank you. You are entitled to a full breakdown of any service charges you are required to pay and if you require it a full breakdown of how those charges have been calculated. If the Association refuses to provide you with a breakdown, you can in the first instance raise the issue as a formal complaint with the Association. The association is required to treat your complaint according to its complaints policy And provide a written reply within a set number of days, usually uses approximately 28 days but can vary a little from Association to Association

Joshua :

if you are not satisfied with their response, you can refer your complaint to the Housing ombudsman who has the power to independently determine your complaint and order the housing association to act in accordance with the ombudsman's determination. There is no charge for using the Housing ombudsman service

Joshua :

http://www.housing-ombudsman.org.uk/complaint-form/

Joshua :

Is there anything above I can clarify for you?

Joshua :

If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to rate my service to you today. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though.