How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69259
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

What happens PRACTICALLY if your wife calls the Police and

Resolved Question:

What happens PRACTICALLY if your wife calls the Police and asserts (maliciously) that you have broken a non Molestation order when you haven't, but you manage to 'escape' before the Police arrive and you are still at liberty 48 hours later. Do you have to hand yourself in?
Can they keep you in? Can you simply agree to go at a pre-agreed time to the Magistrates Court to argue your innocence? What are your options?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Unfortunately, the police will have to respond to her complaints. You would not believe how much I wish their policy were not to become involved in this nonsense.

You do not have to hand yourself in but if you do not they will eventually catch up with you and then it will be harder to get bail.

Yes, they can keep you in. If you fled upon arrest then they may do so.

No, you cannot just go to the Magistrates. You need to go to the police station for interview and charge or, indeed, no further action. The police are actually quite well aware that women waste their time to manipulate their partners sometimes.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I didn't flee from them (as in a scuffle/blue light chase situation) as I left the family home PDQ and long before they arrived? My wife also didn't tell me for sure that she was going to call them and I have kept my mobile switched off, so there is no way I could know that they are actually 'after me'. That being said, I spoke to my wife tonight and she confirmed she had called the Police. So in summary and as we didn't have a resisting arrest situation - what should I do?!

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

1 Get a solicitor to negotiate a time to surrender voluntarily at the police station.

2 Do not have anything else to do with your wife and find yourself a partner who does not seek non molestation orders and trot them out when it suits her. We all have rows. We don't all get the police involved in them.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69259
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice