How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Alice H Your Own Question

Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2847
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

A colleague has raised a complaint of bullying and harassment

Customer Question

A colleague has raised a complaint of bullying and harassment against me. I strenuously deny the allegation. It transpires that the complainant has used the wrong part of the departmental rules in his written submission of the complaint. In this case they have quoted rules which apply to the respondent in any complaint, rather than the complainant. As the complainant has quoted the rules incorrectly, do I have any redress? For example, can I reasonably suggest that the rules not being followed has resulted in my being given unnecessary worry and concern. Should the complaint be thrown out? What is the best way to proceed in this situation?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today.

Its unlikely that quoting the wrong part of the rules will be enough to stop this complaint proceeding further - courts and tribunals are generally reluctant to stop cases because technicalities unless you can demonstrate that you have suffered some prejudice in presenting your case. If the gist of the complaint is unaffected by the misquotation of the rules, then the complaint will generally proceed and you will be given a change to answer the allegations. Also you have to remember that even if the wrong rules have been quoted, the complainant could withdraw that complaint and submit a fresh complaint quoting the correct rules.

Hope this makes the position clearer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX case the complainant said I had acted maliciously and/or vicariously/ vexatious and quoted that section of the rule book which centres on such behaviour. I then submitted a written response based on that allegation. I do feel wronged by this, so am surprised I have no redress.

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.

Your redress is, of course, to deny the false allegation bring made against you with any evidence that you have in support. But at this stage you are not arguing a point of law as you might do in a court or tribunal. In other words you are not seeking a legal ruling but dealing with the gist of the complaint being made against you.


Also, misquoting a rule or procedure by a lay person is an issue that the courts have to deal with every day and allowances are made. The situation might be different if, for example, a lawyer was applying the wrong law or procedure.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, many thanks for your prompt and detailed advice, much appreciated.

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
No problem. Happy to discuss further if needed.


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice