UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Registering child as british citizen (EU treaty rights)

Sir/Ma'am I am an EU national, exercising EC Treaty rights in accordance with Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006 for more than 5 years. I have been in continuous employment as a plastic surgeon and academic since and have no problem providing evidence of this. I have not left the UK for any period longer than 21 days at a stretch, and have been out of the uk only for leisure, short trips of 7 days max My Son will be born in Wales, UK on the 9 April of my wife, who is also in the UK exercising the same rights. Will my son automatically be a british citizen? If not what do i need to do to register him as a british citizen How do I apply for his passport

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Yes, your son will be automatically British at birth as you are already a permanent resident in the UK and any child of yours born in the UK is automatically a British citizen.

You simply apply for his UK passport after he is born, they will require evidence that you have been exercising treaty rights for at least 5 years.

See here for information on applying for his passport:

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-child-passport/your-childs-first-passport

All the best