UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

HI I am representing myself in a assignment of a lease on

Customer Question

HI
I am representing myself in a assignment of a lease on a shop, i am the person the lease is being assigned to (hopefully)
I am also purchasing a business which runs from the said premises which again i am representing myself.
the landlord who is granting the signing of the lease is a different person from the vendor of the business and therefore each has his own solicitor the vendors solicitors are reasonably easy to deal with and so we are getting there.
The landlords solicitors will not talk to me at all as they say i am not their client and are therefore prohibited by the "law Society's regulations" to have any communication with me what so ever...is this correct? it leaves me with no representation when dealing with them and i have no idea about whats going on plus they are dragging their feet which is holding up the whole purchase of the business and as a consequence costing me money as i can not trade.

Steve
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

That is absolutely not correct.

They may negotiate or deal with you as long as the landlord has consented to them doing so.

You may ask the vendor or their solicitors to discuss this issue with the landlord's solicitors so that they can take instructions from their client, the landlord, and deal with you from now on.

Hope this helps