12826847

living abroad and claiming

Customer Question

seven years ago after having breast cancer i made a rash decision to move to Portugal with my ex husband we bought an old ruin but it didn't work out so i came back. to save face with my family and friends i told them i had come back for hospital treatment and kept going back for periods of time to try work things out. Three or four years ago both my parents got dementia and i spent most of my time with them until eventually sorting out a dementia home for them. As most of my time was still spent in England I kept up the same story The past 18months i have been almost solely in the uk waiting for and having a triple bypass and heart valve replacement. All this time I have stayed with friends or my daughter. I also have severe arthritis which is helped by the weather over there and i have friends there who i stay with when it doesn't work out i can still go. All this time i have been on incapacity benefit and have been put in a support group which means i'm not fit enough to work. Now i have to go for an interview under caution about living abroad and claiming on Wednesday and I'm in a right state as my depression is really bad just now. Please can you give me some advice .  My daughter rents the house in england from her dad (my ex) and not wanting to cause any problems for her i've probably claimed much less than my entitelment ie i never claimed disability for the past seven years.  A further complication arose when i had to take over lookinf after mum and dad's finances. My brother is useless and i probably made a complete mess of it but i done my best to look after it,  provide for them clothes etc out of the money, and carry out their wishes.  I have never claimed or tried to claim for anything i'm not entitled to and didn't realise until receiving the interview that i have read that i should have informed them when i went to portugal each time.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?