UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hello, I married my husband a Britsh Serviceman in Guinea Conakry

Hello, I married my husband a Britsh Serviceman in Guinea Conakry West Africa in 2009. I came to England in 2009 and in 2012 I received indefinite leave to remain. As a result of Domestic violence I had to leave him in 2013 but as far as I know we are still legally married.
My Passport from Guinea is due to expire in April. Will this effect my Indifinite Leave to remain?

Can I get apply for an English passport, how do I go about that?

I am trying to rebuild my life but to start I need to feel safe.

Thank you In advance for your help.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Your indefinite leave to remain will not be affected if you had to leave your partner.

You may apply for naturalisation as a British Citizen straight away as you have lived in the UK for more than 3 years and are married to a British citizen.

You should apply sooner rather than later

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/if-your-spouse-is-a-british-citizen

Can I help,further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How much, would you charge to process the naturalisation documentation for me. I do not have lots of money but I have to do this somehow.
I am afraid we are not allowed to take on customers from this site but in your case, it should be a straightforward application which you can do yourself.

You can contact your local authority to see if they provide a checking service for nationality applications as they would ensure that your application is valid and all the supporting documents are included with the application.

Hope this helps