tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

my cousin had a chat with an old school acquaintance of ours,

my cousin had a chat with an old school acquaintance of ours, today. This woman called me a paedophile lover who had let my grandchildren mix with one. A year last november, i attended my friends wedding. her now husbands father has just been sentenced to 11years for abusing his grandchildren. I am naturally horrified to hear this. However, I only met this man once at my friends wedding and my grandchildren have NEVER been in contact with either this man or his son.
This woman is a very mouthy, unpleasant woman and if she is openly saying this to my cousin; to whom I am very close, I dread what she has been saying to other people. Jan
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

What would you like to know about this please?

Customer:

I would like to know if is there any way to stop her from saying these awful things?

tdlawyer :

It's a nasty thing to be saying, that's for sure, but an I ask why she is doing this to you?

Customer:

It was our mutual friends wedding. They fell out and I attended the wedding. She was horrible to Sam my friend for weeks after. Sam has moved away (probably due to the terrible case involving her father in law) I think I must be an easy 'target' for her ugly mouth. I am really more concerned about my grandchildren aged 4,3 and 2 and how others may think if they believe these lies. I am very confused, sorry

tdlawyer :

Is she doing this to harass you?

Customer:

I don't know really as we are both in our 50s.

tdlawyer :

Well, if it's done to harass you, then you should be able to prevent her from doing this.

tdlawyer :

I would suggest, in the first instance, that you speak with the police, as harassment is a criminal offence.

tdlawyer :

They will warn her first - before doing anything more formal.

Customer:

Well I am very relieved that the police may be able to help. Its so unbelievable that I feel that I have entered some surreal place :(

tdlawyer :

I can imagine - if you feel you want to pursue this afterwards (hopefuly, with the police involved, you wont need to) then you could potentially issue a claim in the civil courts too.

Customer:

I think that if the police warned her, then that would be enough for me. I live in a small town. I was a Rainbow leader for 5 years (20 years ago) Something like this could escalate beyond all proportions. I often collect my grandchildren from school and playgroup

tdlawyer :

Then the police seems like a sensible first step for you, and hopefully, that's all it will ever need. Is there anything more you want me to address for you at all?

Customer:

No, thank you. I can't tell you how much better I feel for having your advice. Jan

tdlawyer :

Thanks Jan. I hope you manage to resolve this quickly. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a good evening.

Customer:

You too :)