75100385

Hi my partner lost aprox. €30,000 deposit on a property in

Hi my partner lost aprox. €30,000 deposit on a property in morocco 5 years ago, he was dealing with spanish solicitors in malaga. He recently received a call saying he was entitled to money back, but he must pay solicitor fees...could this be a scam? What can he do to check the legitamacy of this solicitor in spain?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Have you asked them about using escrow at all please?
Customer:

No, whats escrow?

Alex Watts : Ok. This is a service where you deposit money with a third party. Once the work is done you instruct escrow to release the funds.
Alex Watts : This way you can ensure the work is done.
Alex Watts : In Spain, qualified Solicitors must be registered and form part from the local Colegio from the area in which they usually have their main office or practice. For example, in our company, there are Solicitors registered in the Lawyers Colegio from Alicante, from Orihuela, and from Elche.
Alex Watts : Each Solicitor registered in the Colegio has a number of registration. It must be provided to clients when requested. For example, I am the Solicitor nº 1243 from the College of Lawyers from Orihuela.
Alex Watts : An individual can apply for information regarding registration of their Solicitor, applying for it in the Colegio from the area. Additionally, Solicitors have access to the Central database of Solicitors in Spain, and we c obtain the information regarding all the Solicitors in practice in Spain, independently from the area.
Alex Watts : Therefore you should ask for the details.
Alex Watts : You can then check yourself or use another Spanish solicitor to check.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

If I give you the details tomorrow, can you check on our behalf?

Alex Watts :

I can't check as sadly I am a UK Solicitor and not Spannish.

Alex Watts :

* Spanish *

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you please?

Customer:

No thats everything, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX been a great help