75100385

As a music teacher I am self employed - is it legal for the

As a music teacher I am self employed - is it legal for the school where I work to dictate my fee levels ?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Do you have a contract with the school pleasea
Customer: Not at present - they are just trying to introduce one now which I could è mail to you .
Alex Watts : If you are self employed it is a matter of negotiation.
Alex Watts : They can say we will pay you x and you can accept or reject it.
Alex Watts : As you are self employed they can end your contract if they wish.
Alex Watts : Therefore whilst they can not dictate your fees they can say we are willing to pay x.
Alex Watts : I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

Hi - sorry I've been out at work all morning. Yes you can clarify some points - the school where I work want to dictate what I can earn whilst still claiming that I am "self employed" . Surely if I'm self employed I can charge whatever I like for my services and they do not have the right to specify what I can charge? They are trying to set up contracts with all their peripatetic teachers who have been working at the school for years. The school is issuing "guidelines" as to what we can charge but later in the contract it states that if we don't comply with all their rules ( and I assume the fee rate is included in this) they can terminate our right to work there. What I want to know is, is it legal for them to dictate what self employed people can charge? If they are issuing a contract that states that we are self employed then surely we have the right to decide our rates?

Alex Watts :

If you are self employed you can charge what they like, but then they could say we are not paying that. You either accept x or leave.

Alex Watts :

Yes it is legal for them to dictate what people charge.

Alex Watts :

You can either accept it and continue or refuse and risk being asked to leave

Alex Watts :

Remember you have no rights as a self employed person

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else?