13262538

Hi, as a joint executor, one of three, of my late mother, I

Hi, as a joint executor, one of three, of my late mother, I have just discovered that one of my siblings has been going though legal documents and papers without out prior knowledge and is also planning to move into our late mother's house to start "sorting out" her affairs. Can they do this without our joint approval? Any legal implications of same?
Is there any need for this sibling to move in - does he or she live a long way away?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

The answer is no. She lives 20 minutes away.

We all have keys to my late mother's property. Her funeral was yesterday. My concern is that my sister is going through all correspondence, effects etc without any prior discussion with my brother or myself. Can she legally do this? We also wish to close up the property and not incurr any more bills than necessary.

Do you wish to do this with your sister?
Who are the beneficiaries?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Since your first request for info, I have subsequently had a meeting with my sister and brother regarding this issue.

We are the only beneficiaries and have now agreed to work together in processing our late mother's affairs. The property will now not be occupied on a day to day basis by my sister.

Many thanks,

Mike

That is excellent news - it is always better when you can work together (although does not always happen)
If the estate is simple there is no reason why you cannot deal with the paperwork yourselves - contact your local Probate Office who will send you the forms