I had a 2 year phone contract with Vodafone, it ended in April

I had a 2 year phone contract with Vodafone, it ended in April 2013, I just continued out of ease until I sent a cancellation letter in August 2013. Since then I have made numerous phone calls, emails, and letters to them and their collections departments explaining that there was no longer a contract, I am within my rights to cancel but they insist that I pay £ 181 for the monthly fees since I cancelled the direct debit. It seems that one department does not correspond with any others and there appear to be many, I have even spoken and e-mailed Egypt!

I have sent recorded deliveries but still they insist they have nothing on record. I feel it is harassment, it is stressful, frustrating and time consuming. I think I am writing to them once more including all correspondence to the only address and contact I have, then to ignore and if they pursue have it prepared for court.
Can you advise me if I need to do anything, am I correct in my assumption that I have done everything I reasonably can and have a strong case against them?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : How did you cancel the contract, did you just stop the direct debit please?
Alex Watts : Did they confirm back the cancellation in writing after your letter? Did you send it recorded delivery?

I sent a letter, not recorded then cancelled my DD. They did not confirm in writing even after phone calls assuring me it would all be taken care of. My contract had expired in April.

Alex Watts : Why did you not chase it up the fact that you never received a written response?

I have my own business, 2 children, horse and I expect people to do a job and do not expect or have the time to keep chasing, I have to prioritise and other things took over. After numerous phone calls to them and assurances that all would be dealt with I really did not see what else I could do. They never acknowledge letters, phone calls I have references for but never deal with the same centre twice so we begin at the beginning every time, assurances are given, then another demanding letter arrives. E-mails not responded to either. What else can I possibly in all fairness do?

Alex Watts : Do you have the dates of all the phone calls?

Yes dates, reference numbers, names, copies of letters.

Alex Watts : Ok if you have this then you do have a chance.
Alex Watts : Clearly litigation is by no means certain and you could lose.
Alex Watts : But if you have records and reference numbers you would appear on the face of it to have a case.
Alex Watts : You can complain to vodafone the information commissioner and ultimately court.
Alex Watts : But if you have the evidence yes you seem to have a case.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX such a time consuming exercise and stressful

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience