75100385

I joined a local gym but I havent used it once so wish to

I joined a local gym but I haven't used it once so wish to cancel it. However, the terms and conditions state the gym membership is offered as a 12 month package and any termination is 'subject to a single cancellation fee equivalent to 2 monthly payments where membership is cancelled during the first 12 months' (which is applies in my case. It also states 'Annual Memberships are non-refundable. If the termination process is not followed legal proceedings may be taken'.
Are these termination conditions enforceable? Do I have to pay the cancellation fee, which seems very unfair, especially as I haven't used the gym once?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Its bad news - yes it is

Alex Watts :

It is like a mobile telephone contract, there is a minimum period

Alex Watts :

Here it is 12 months

Alex Watts :

You must pay 12 months before you cancel

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Not the answer I wanted but your answer is very clear, and clarifcation is what I needed.

Customer: