12826847

Hello, I started claiming housing benefit in june 2010 and

Hello, I started claiming housing benefit in june 2010 and declared £12.000 savings. 3 months prior to this I had given a gift of £7,000 to my son for furbishment of his relatively new flat.
Now I am being investigated for fraud ie deliberately reducing my savings in order to claim benefit, and have had an interview under caution.
I get £45 a week housing benefit and have received approx. £8600 in all.
I did not intentionally intend to defraud and am of good character so could you advise me on what is likely to happen.?
Should I offer to return the money claimed ?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What stage has this reached please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Had an interview today

When did you give him this sum please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please could I speak to Fran L as you seem to be busy and she specialises in fraud ?

She is based in the States and this will be a UK question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok please reply if you can help

They will probably take the vie that you were deliberately dissipating assets by disposing of this money. There is no way around that. Whether you did it dishonestly or not is another matter.

It is probably a good idea to make offers to repay the money. Whichever way you look at this, they are going to be of the view that you did this deliberately to claim benefits.

They may not think they can prove you did it dishonestly. If not then they will not charge you. If they do charge you then the face of repayment wil be a hugely mitigating factor.

Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

I see you have decided not to work with my colleague any more.

What else is it you would like to know and I will try and help you.