75100385

EveningWe recently booked a holiday less than a month ago

Evening We recently booked a holiday less than a month ago & paid a minimum deposit of £200 a further £800 is wanted for the deposit on the 13th of this month. Due to circumstances we want to cancel this holiday but they still demand the extra £800. In T&C it states that a full deposit is required upon cancellation. We feel this is harsh should we have to pay? Kind Regards James

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Do the terms specify when you have to cancel by please?
Customer: Morning
Customer: Morning. It stipulates in the terms & conditions that the rest of the deposit is due on 13th today. It's been less than a month since booked. I believe that what they have taken so far I adequate & they will have plenty of time to re-sell the holiday.
Alex Watts :

But the terms say the deposit is forfeit if you cancel, is that right?

Customer: The terms under the t&c means in would have to forfeit £1000 pound though I believe this to be excessive with the amount of notice I'm giving. Over 150 days
Alex Watts :

Its bad news I am afraid.

Alex Watts :

If you agreed to the terms and booked the holiday I am sorry to say you are bound by contract on it

Alex Watts :

This means that if the contract states that you would lose the deposit then I am sorry but you are liable.

Alex Watts :

However they can NOT claim the extra amount - they can only claim what deposit you have paid.

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Saying they can't claim the extra amount is a good answer as I thought I should have some consumer rights. If I go ahead with cancelling today & chase the monies owed will I be in favour?. I don't mind that I have lost £200 will take that on the chin

Alex Watts :

Yes you have lost the £200. But you only lose a deposit, if they wanted more then you they should have make you pay a higher deposit

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else?

Customer:

No this is great thanks for your input

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/