12826847

Before the case in the court can defence lawyer and defendant

Customer Question

Before the case in the court can defence lawyer and defendant see what kind of evidence prosecution has produced? Also can prosecutor hide the evidence and later submit it in court so defence doesn't know about it?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's a general question, there is no case as yet. I understand that defence lawyer can see what kind of evidence prosecution holds against defendant?

The Crown have to disclose anything that they rely on to the defence at the outset.

if the defence want to know anything else then they have to submit a defence case statement setting out the general nature of the defence.

The Crown then have to disclose anything that undermines their case or assists the defence.

The Crown should not be hiding evidence and actually generally they are not really assisted by doing that.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/