75100385

I have two creditors after me (sister companies as it turns

I have two creditors after me (sister companies as it turns out). Each one says I owe around £400. This is because in 2011 I stopped receiving statements from them. When they contacted me to get a payment on the landline of my mothers address where I was living. they first took me through security questions and decided I could not make a payment cause the address I was telling them on the phone was not what they had on the system. I explained that was the address they should have and the only other address I had given them was my dads. which they said was also wrong. as a result they wouldn't let me make a payment this continued on for 18 months during which time they were adding interest and charges and charging me for statements I never received. Eventually I was contacted by a debt collection agency .(at my mothers address so I cant understand how the creditor can say they didn't have it). I have been paying the debt agency in instalments but I don't think it is right I should pay interest and charges put on because they wouldn't let me pay. I have been arguing with them since they first contacted me and have gotten nowhere. they just keep saying I didn't notify them of change of address. which I never needed to do. I don't know what to do cause this has really screwed my credit rating up

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : What is the debt for and do you accept you owe it please?
Customer: Its catalogues. I accept i owe some but not all the charges put on from when whey stopped letting me make payments
Alex Watts : How did they refuse to let you make payments please?
Customer:

when talking on the phone they say they had to go through security questions eg name, date of birth, and address but cause the address I was giving them didn't match what was on there system they wouldn't let me make a payment.

Alex Watts :

Ok - and what is it you want to be able to achieve please?

Customer:

I don't see that I should have to pay all the charges and interest from the time they wouldn't let me pay and I don't think it is fair that this is something that has gone wrong there end and yet my credit file is the one ruined.

Alex Watts :

But is the credit file accurate - you had defaulted or missed payments originally before being sold on?

Customer: They defaulted it during the period that they were not letting me make payments. They stopped letting me make payment jan 2011 and defaulted the account july 2011
Alex Watts :

What you need to do is write and make a formal complaint.

Alex Watts :

They will investigate this through their complaints process

Alex Watts :

If that does not work then you need to wait until you get a final response.

Alex Watts :

Then you can complain to the Information Commissioner

Alex Watts :

They offer a free and independent service for you to use

Alex Watts :

Their website is: www.ico.gov.uk

Alex Watts :

But I agree, if they did not let you make payments then you should not be liable for the extra charges and interest

Alex Watts :

Customer:

thankyou.

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience