tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

Would I be able to get compensation? I bought a pre-owned

Customer Question

Would I be able to get compensation? I bought a pre-owned HP Slate 7 from the shop named "Game" last May. (I have the receipt). In the last month, I have had trouble charging the tablet and now, not at all. I took the tablet to Game to see if this could be repaired, and they tell me that it is not under warrantee/guarantee, as it is not the manufacturer's fault that a piece has broken off inside the tablet where the charger fits into. I feel as it is still under the year that I bought it, all packaged up as if it hadn't been used. I look forward to your comments on this. Joan XXXXXXXXX 

Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

Were you aware of the issue when you purchased the Slate?

JACUSTOMER-f0dlgpe6- :

No. I was not aware.

tdlawyer :

Okay. Then you should have been sold something that is capable of being properly used, which it sounds like you can't.

JACUSTOMER-f0dlgpe6- :

Could you please tell me what I should do?

tdlawyer :

You can insist they they repair it, or give you your money back, and if they refuse to do either, then you could issue proceedings in the small claims court to get your money back or the cost of repair. At this point, most businesses would try and reach some resolution with you, for example, meeting half the cost of repair each.
However, legally, if youve bought something that isn't of satisfactory quality and/or fit for purpose, then you would be entitled to your money back.

JACUSTOMER-f0dlgpe6- :

Thank you for your advice. I am hoping to follow this through.

tdlawyer :

If you have to issue a claim, then you can do it here: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

tdlawyer :

It's the easiest and quickest way of issuing a small claim.

JACUSTOMER-f0dlgpe6- :

Will there be any extra charge?

tdlawyer :

No, only an issue fee, probably abour £37 or so.

JACUSTOMER-f0dlgpe6- :

The tablet cost me £120. With the £40 and £37 = £77, will it be worth it to me?

tdlawyer :

If you succeed, then you should get these costs back. It would be cheaper perhaps just to pay for a repair, but equally, why should you?

JACUSTOMER-f0dlgpe6- :

Thank you. XXXXX would like you to claim for me please.

tdlawyer :

I can't do the claim for you, we only provide information on this site. But if you go to the website I mentioned, you can follow it through stage by stage to issue a claim. It's very informal and an easy process, one which is designed to keep lawyers out of the way.

JACUSTOMER-f0dlgpe6- :

OK, I will do that. Thank you Tony for your advice.

tdlawyer :

Thank you! Hope it goes well.

tdlawyer :

Is there anything else you would like me to answer for you?

JACUSTOMER-f0dlgpe6- :

Should I tell "Game" what I am doing first?

tdlawyer :

Yes, you should give them one final chance to resolve things.

JACUSTOMER-f0dlgpe6- :

Thanks again. That is all I need to know.

tdlawyer :

You're welcome.

tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience: 11 years experience of general practice.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

At this moment, "Game" has agreed to compensate me, as to what, I do not know. I have a Returns No., but have to wait for the charger to be returned, which it seems they have not even posted it yet.

Will I be able to claim any inconvenience money with this?

Joan XXXXXXX

Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hi John

Not normally, as a court would not award damages for inconenience. So, if a court wouldn't order it, people don't often pay it, unless they want to retain your goodwill.

Hope this helps.

Tony