Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

last november we were left at tenerefe airport by jet2 we

last november we were left at tenerefe airport by jet2 we were booked on flight at 14 00 flight left at 1 00 and had to find digs for night and flight home next day
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

May I clarify that the flight left at 13.00 when it was supposed to leave at 14.00 please?

Customer:

our tickets were printed one month before departure LOADING 1 3 30 DEPART 14 00 10 11 13

Joshua :

Thanks. Could you clarify the explanation given by the airline for the alteration?

Customer:

SED they sent e male but idid not find it but they had phone no and didnot ring me

Joshua :

Thanks. Finally were you not at the airport in any event in time because typically you are advised to arrive 90 mins or more before your flight time?

Customer:

yes were at air port and no contact was made

Joshua :

Would you not have noticed the flight time on the departure board as soon as you arrived?

Customer:

no because nothing on board for our flight

Customer:

wating for 1400 fiight

Joshua :

Thanks so your flight was not displayed at all or was it displayed with the same flight number but a different time and therefore you did not notice it?

Customer:

yes because we were early

Joshua :

Sorry can I be clear (as I consider it will be relevant). Was your flight displayed with the same flight number but you didn't see it because it was shown at a different time?

Customer:

yes

Joshua :

Thank you. My fear is hat you may struggle to obtain any compensation on these facts I regret. There are two components to this. You will find if you review the airlines terms and conditions that there is invariably a provision that allows them to make "minor alterations" to their schedule without being liable for compensation. Their typically define minor as being less than 12 hours. This clause by no means gets the airline off the hook as follows but they will initially point you to such a clause to defend any claim for compensation.

Joshua :

However you can overcome this clause if you can show that they failed to make reasonable efforts to inform you. An email is not necessarily a reasonable effort particularly if it was sent last minute when you may have already been on holiday or not with your computer. In addition if schedule changes cause you unavoidable loss - such as connection changes or accomodation costs then you can still potentially make a claim against the airline for clight changes.

Joshua :

The question as to whether you have a claim lies principally in the concept of what is reasonable. On the one hand here you have in your favour that the airline may not have used reasonable endeavours to inform you of the timetable change. However against you you have the issue that the flight change was only minor in nature and the airline could argue that it was reasonable to have expected you to have been made aware of the change by reference to the departure boards because you should have been at the airport broadly in time even for the later flight.

Joshua :

I note you have gone offline - would you like to continue?

Customer:

no thankyou

Joshua :

Is there anything above I can clarify for you any further?

Joshua :

If I can assist any further as the situation develops please do no hesitate to let me know.