75100385

We have been in temporary accommodation for 7 months due to

We have been in temporary accommodation for 7 months due to a house fire, (neighbours house fire spread into ours). The work should have taken no longer than 3 to 4 months to complete, however due to serious poor workmanship (roof replaced twice) the work eventually took 7 months. During this time we had to house our 2 Bernese mountain dogs in kennels as we could not find a temporary residence that would allow dogs. The insurance com'y paid the kennel fees, however the kennels were 36 miles round trip from our home which we did 4 times a week. Can we claim travel expenses for visiting our dogs? this adds up to quite an amount as well as the wear and tear on our vehicle. It was stressful enough having to put them into kennels in the first place and it broke our hearts having to leave them each time we visited.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

I assume you are not renting and own the property please? Who instructed the roofer, you or the insurance company please?

Customer:

Yes we own our property, (just returned after 7 months) all building work was done by the insurance company's appointed builder. We were instructed to find alternative accommodation whilst works were being carried out. The ins co paid the rent on the temp accomm. However we had to put our dogs into kennels for the duration of works.

Alex Watts :

Do you have any insurance for that particular aspect please?

Customer:

we have standard insurance that's covers us for any additional living expenses incurred due to being relocated

Alex Watts : But does it state travel expanses please?
Customer:

all sorted now, no need for your assistance.

Customer:

all sorted now, no further need for your assistance. thank you

Alex Watts :

No problem - I am very pleased you got it dealt with.

Customer:

thank you

Alex Watts :

No problem.

Alex Watts :

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/