Mail is received for tenants who left 3 years ago or who have

Mail is received for tenants who left 3 years ago or who have never been tenants. That post has been returned unopened with an inscription advising the situation. Last week enforcement officers turned and after an argument when the existing tenant phoned us they went away. Because of the unknown names and the enforcement officer advising that debts had been incurred after the tenant left the matter has been reported to the police.
However even if a letter is received 'to be opened by the addressee only' or just with their name, are we as the property owners allowed to open the letters and write direct to the sender?
Further the enforcement officer said our property has been 'blacklisted'. What does this mean and what can we do to set the record straight?

Thank You - A Sheena

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

do they accept that you are not the liable person? What are they expecting you to do about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Jo.

The present tenants have advised us as things have happened. The only thing they asked us to do was confirm to the Enquiry Agents that we rent the property unfurnished but we understand they threatened to come back. It is not in our interest to have tenants bothered in this way and we want to try and help the tenants ( they had a baby boy on Monday) . Neither is it in our interest to have our property blacklisted.

A property is not blacklisted. The endebted house is a myth. There is no such thing as a blacklist anyway.

What there is, is the credit reference agency where the debtors name and address as having incurred the debt and defaulted.

If the debtor was at this property when the debt was incurred and it defaulted, there is no way of getting the reference to the address removed.

There is no legal reason why, when the letter has been put through the letterbox, however it is marked, it cannot be opened. What you cannot do is withhold post to cause disadvantage to another.

I can see no harm whatsoever in opening those letters and writing back to the creditor advising them of the situation. To give a little more weight to your correspondence, also give the creditor the crime number and the police station where it was reported

You were absolutely right to report this to the police as at least some of it amounts to fraud.

Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Jo. Welcome news and worth the money

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile