Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm

If someone accuses me of hacking them but I have not done so

Customer Question

If someone accuses me of hacking them but I have not done so at all, what are my rights?
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.

My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today. You could start a claim for defamation if the other party has made a false statement about you which has harmed your reputation. Ideally you should use a solicitor, but if you decide to deal with the matter yourself you will need to follow the Civil Procedure Rules pre-action protocol set out here:

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was just said to me but not to a third party

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Then you have no claim.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How could I defend myself from such accusations

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
You should tell the other person the allegation is false. But unless the statement is made to a third party, then you will not have any legal recourse.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thank you, what's a good legal way to tell someone that the allegations are false

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Good morning

As I said earlier you do not have a claim because the false statement was only made to you not a third party or the world at large - but if you want to write a letter you must include the following information:

-Your name and address

-Sufficient details to identify the publication or broadcast which contained the words complained of;

-The words complained of and, if known, the date of publication; where possible, a copy or transcript of the words complained of should be enclosed;

-Factual inaccuracies or unsupportable comment within the words complained of; you should give a sufficient explanation to enable the defendant to appreciate why the words are inaccurate or unsupportable;

-The nature of the remedies sought e.g. apology, compensation.

-Details of any special facts relevant to the interpretation of the words complained of and/or any particular damage caused by the words complained of.