12826847

I stopped at a red light which had a camera by it. I sat there

I stopped at a red light which had a camera by it. I sat there for a period of time. A green light came up on the lights about 20 yards in front of me. I moved off not realising that the lights that i was sitting at were still actually red. Do i have a case to appeal the PCN asthjis was a genuine mistake and i hadnt tried to run the red light

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What is the date of the offence?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it was 12 march today . I dont yet have the ticket but there was a camera so i take it that it was recorded

I see.

You could always try to argue that the signs were confusing.

However the practical reality is that if the lights you were actually sitting at were red then its not all that likely that the court would accept the green lights in the distance are confusing to the reasonably observant motorist.

The fact that it was a genuine mistake is no defence. Most road traffic offences are genuine mistakes. Its rare that anybody deliberately goes out with intention to commit an offence under the road traffic act.

If you are intent then it is a defence to say that the signs were not adequate but obviously you have to convince the Magistrates of that and I have to be honest and say that the chances of them accepting that are low.

They may well offer the red light awareness course so you would not get points.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.