29905560

i become a director of company that the old director resigned.

i become a director of company that the old director resigned. and now there is a problem with financial with some other people no proof at all that they invested no name in the company list. and sue my company is that possible.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. how long ago did you become a director and why did the other director resigne

Customer:

i dont know why they resigned.

Customer:

i have been director since october 15

Ben Jones :

OK thank you, XXXXX XXXXX it with me. I need to look up a few things and then get my advice ready. I will post back on here when done. There is no need to wait and you will receive an email when I have responded.

Customer:

and the people who is asking for money u checked and there name was never in the company list

Customer:

thank you

Customer:

i mean i checked

Customer:

how long it will take to get an anwer

Thanks for your patience. When you become a director of a company, if it is a limited company, you will not have any personal liabilities for the debts of the company. However, the company itself will have its own separate liability for the debts of the company and you, as the director, will have to try and deal with them, but as mentioned would not be personally liable for them.

If someone is claiming that they are a creditor of the company and that they are owed something by it, then if you cannot establish the truth of such claims you may certainly ask them to provide proof to back up whatever they are claiming. Until you have proof of the debts they are claiming you do not have to do anything to pay these. There is nothing stopping them from suing the company to try and claim whatever they believe they are owed, but a court would not find in their favour unless they provide some proof that what they are claiming is true. So even if this goes to court, they will have to be able to justify they have a valid claim. If they provide evidence that backs up their claim then at least you know that they may be telling the truth and can consider paying them what they are due, but if they can’t there is a chance the court will reject their claim and you will walk away without owing them anything.

So before they decide to go to court, you have every right to ask them to provide you with evidence to back up their claims.

I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you and feel free to bookmark my profile for future help:

www.justanswer.com/law/expert-ben-jones/
Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this?