75100385

Hi, we are renting a house. Our friends came to live in the

we are renting a house.
Our friends came to live in the house while we are away.
We are back now but they dont want to move out.
We gave them notice of eviction but they still say they dont want to move out.
We dont have any written agreement with them nor they have paid us money towards rent.
The agency we originaly rented the property from found out about the problem and they said that they would have to cancel our contract with them/ the tenancy agreement/
My question is:
Can we ask our friends to pay us for the bills and the rent while they were living at the property? At the end of the day we werent living there but we were paying all the bills and the rent?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : I assume they rented the whole house and not just a room please?
Customer:

We are renting the whole house. The family came to stay with us while we were away

Customer:

We haven't signed anything with them.

Customer:

We've been asking them to leave since 3 months ago and they don't want to. I gave them a notice of eviction and they went to the agency to show that letter to them. The agency called me and said that I am in breach with my contract and we would probably have to leave the property because of them

Customer:

And now I am wondering can I ask them in that case for them to cover all the rent and the bills as I've been paying them all those months

Alex Watts :

Ok - yes you can ask them to cover the rent and the bills.

Alex Watts :

But the bad news is that if they do not pay you would be liable for the RENT for that period. This is because I assume you signed a tenancy agreement with the Landlord.

Alex Watts :

If you want them to move out then you are going to need a Court order.

Alex Watts :

You can get this by issuing proceedings online at: https://www.possessionclaim.gov.uk/pcol/

Alex Watts :