How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69908
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

We have a house in Wales. The neighbour has smashed down the

Customer Question

We have a house in Wales. The neighbour has smashed down the slate wall boundary ( the deeds show it is his responsibility) and our brick wall 5 feet inside that as well as demolish the hedge on the adjacent boundary. The old tool shed was between the slate wall and the brick one. Its about 30 feet plus another 30 feet at right angles.

When i asked the neighbour what he was doing, he said he thought nobody was there.

What compensation might i have as he has not replaced the boundary fence or offered to.
He smashed it all down in January 2013.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What loss have you suffered please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The old tool shed has been levelled to the ground and the brick wall has been demolished almost in entirety. There is about 30 pct left which is unsafe. Because the house is rented out to holiday makers, we have had to pay a fencer to put up a fence across the lawn the make the garden child and dog safe. But we have now lost the use of the lower lawn, which is part rubble and part slate. We had hope the neighbour would re-instate the boundary wall, with a wall or fence. This happened over a year ago, and we need to put up a fence on the boundary, to mark it and to make it safe. Can we expect him to pay?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

He is allowed to remove any walls which are his responsibility and are on the boundary however he must give you a notice under the Party Wall Act that he intends to do so.

Unfortunately, the Party Wall Act as no penalty for non-compliance.

With regard to anything that he has taken down on your land, whether it is a hedge or a wall this is criminal damage and should be referred to the police. The police may say that it is a civil matter but it is indeed a criminal matter although sometimes, getting them to prosecute issues like this is not at all easy.

You are entitled to have your own walls and your hedge and whatever else it is that belongs exclusive to you got back in the condition that it was before he started.

If he will not do that, you are faced with doing it yourself and suing him for the costs.

In that respect, check your house insurance to see if you have legal expenses cover that would pay for the legal costs.

If the wall just fell down because he removed the Ivy is not only responsible for the Ivy but also the wall.

But he will not agree to reinstate whatever he has damaged they might be worthwhile seeing a solicitor and then getting the solicitor to write to him threatening court proceedings if he does not either pay for the damage or reinstate it.

Because the amount of damage is probably going to cost less than £10,000 to fix, it will be Small Claims Court and it is unlikely it would be worth the solicitor taking it to court for you because you will not recover the solicitors costs, even if you win

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo,


Sort of what i thought.

But thanks anyway.


Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice