UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am a widower, aged 75 born in Malta but resident in UK since

I am a widower, aged 75 born in Malta but resident in UK since 1964 and hold both British and Maltese passports. I have recently met a lady who is also widowed who was also born in Malta but has lived in Canada since 1979 and holds Canadian and Maltese passports. We wish to get married in the UK and reside in the UK.
I have read various information on different websites but I am still not sure of the requirements/implications. Can my Canadian/Maltese lady friend use her Maltese passport as a means of identification? As an EU citizen I think that there should not be any major problems if this is possible.However as a Canadian resident will she require a visa to get married in the UK?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

She may use her Maltese passport to enter and live in the UK without any restriction as long as she is exercising treaty rights here or is self sufficient.

She is free to marry you in the UK without any restriction.

Can I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. I have just spoken to the Registrar at Wirral Council and they advise that if she is a resident in Canada I will need to speak to the 'Home Office' in Liverpool. It seems that she cannot use the Maltese passport (citizen) to marry in the UK. Is this correct?

That is incorrect.

She is perfectly entitled to use her Maltese Passport to enter the UK and marry you.

There is no need to tell the Registrar about her Canadian passport as that will only confuse them!

All the best