75100385

I had a debt with Hsbc back in 2008. I paid the debt off through

I had a debt with Hsbc back in 2008. I paid the debt off through a debt management program to Metropolitan collection services. They are their debt collectors. The last 100 of the debt was passed to a company called Idem Servicing. I paid them the remainder. For some crazy reason, they put crazy red default marks for every month on my credit file. i paid them a year ago and they are still doing this monthly. I have just been refused a mortgage because of this. I have called and emailed and they are not responding to me. I want to buy a house. I have a good deposit and I earn good money. I have no debt. Can i do anything to get them to remove these marks? I never borrowed from them

thanks

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Is the information accurate though held on the credit file?

Customer:

On the credit file I have a red mark for every single month since my debt was sold to them. I have paid the debt off over a year ago. My mortgage broker told me when he looked at my report, it's as though I am ignoring a payment every month.

Customer:

apart from that,. my credit file and score is very good

Alex Watts :

Do you accept you were in default or arrears?

Customer:

In 2008, I was in debt. I had 2 credit card and a loan. My job was badly ffected in the recession and it became difficult to make the repayments. So I decided to go on a DMP - debt managemtn program with a company called Payplan. They took over everything but I never missed a payment. HSCB refused the first two payments and then began to accept them

Alex Watts :

But you did originally default?

Customer:

yes in 2010 - through the DMP

Alex Watts :

Ok - I think its bad news in that if the record is accurate, in that you are in default then you may be in difficulty.

Alex Watts :

The record appears accurate in that you are in arrears from the original loan.

Alex Watts :

The only thing you can do in this case is complain to the Information Commissioner

Alex Watts :

They can investigate the complaint and see if it is justified.

Alex Watts :

Their website is: www.ico.gov.uk

Alex Watts :

But I dont think you can go to Court and get it removed, because it is not inaccurate.

Customer:

so they can put a mark on my file even now

Alex Watts :

So try the ICO

Alex Watts :

Yes, if it is accurate, even if it was not recorded before

Alex Watts :

But try the ICO

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you are after and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Customer:

it's insane - I won't be able to get a mortgage

Customer:

until 2016

Alex Watts :

But try the ICO

Customer:

no, but thank you

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else?

Customer:

no thanks

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience