12826847

How important is it that I am represented in court? I am due

How important is it that I am represented in court? I am due to appear in Milton Keynes on 26/3/14 with a reading of 76, 1st offence, I am 68 years old, retired

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had been away on holiday when I learnt that a very old friend that I had known since 1980 had been found dead in his bed by his partner in Bucks. I flew into Gatwick on Mon 10th March, drove to Milton Keynes and checked into Holiday Inn, and arranged to meet his partner on Tuesday 11th for supper and sympathy. I had taken her home to and was returning to my hotel when I was stopped and detained by the police.

Its a difficult question to answer really because its a matter for you ultimately and what you want to achieve.

Representation can certainly help. Lay people tend to say things in mitigation that really amount to aggravation and its to be hoped that a proper advocate would not do that although I have to say that sometimes they do!

The truth though is that the outcome will not be altered all that much. If this is a reading of 76 then you are only facing a fine anyway and a ban of between 17-22 months. You can shave off one quarter of the ban by doing the drink driving course that you will be offered.

Do not drive to court. Even if you plead not guilty and the matter is adjourned off for a trial you will be placed on an interim ban and be unable to drive home.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your advice. I should have said that I actually live in Devon, not that that alters anything, but I was not planning to drive to court anyway. I am in the process of listing reasons why I was in Bucks and the impact a ban will have on my life, but I am not expecting this to make any difference to the outcome! A solicitor would have given me some confidence but at some cost!! Thank you again.

Colin Anderson

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/