tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

Hi I have consented to a court order, whereby I have to pay

Customer Question

Hi I have consented to a court order, whereby I have to pay a large sum to my deceased partners parents acting as admin for my partners estate. I have 4 months to pay, what happens if I cant sell my house in 4 months? Can I extend the time? They have placed restriction orders on my properties.
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name is Tony, I can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

If you can't pay within the time set out in the order, then you can seek to agree an extension for time to pay with the other parties. If you dont get that, you can ask the Court for an extension - but it's unlikely you will get such an extension from the Court.

JACUSTOMER-lv8xz36t- :

Ok. If its not extended. what will happen?

JACUSTOMER-lv8xz36t- :

I have until 7 July to pay £320K and I'm selling my home to raise the money

tdlawyer :

They could seek to get a charging order over your property which they would then seek to enforce by selling. They could seek to enforce by other methods too, e.g.: sending in bailiffs, seeking payment from your bank account etc.

tdlawyer :

I expect if they can see you're genuinely trying to sell, that they would hold off from doing anything else.

JACUSTOMER-lv8xz36t- :

ok. They have done charing orders already. I am genuinely offering 2 properties for sale and keeping them updated

JACUSTOMER-lv8xz36t- :

I only have that amount in property, so this would be their only ave of enforcement

tdlawyer :

They would only have to sell the properties themselves to get the money and start the whole sale process again, which would take more time, so as long as they can see it's genuinely trying to be sold, then my guess is that they would probably be okay with that.

JACUSTOMER-lv8xz36t- :

so as I understand your answer, if they money is only available from the sale of my properties then there is little they can do if I am trying my best to sell them

tdlawyer :

Yes, in reality that's right. however, they could seek to sell it themselves, BUT I doubt they would want to do that so long as they genuinely consider you're really trying to get them sold.

JACUSTOMER-lv8xz36t- :

ok thanks that offers some reassurance

tdlawyer :

tdlawyer :

Is there anything else you would like me to answer for you?

JACUSTOMER-lv8xz36t- :

all done then, please confirm Ive paid a one off fee for this chat and Im not in a monthly agreement

tdlawyer :

I will email customer services for you and make sure you're not on a subscription (as I can't see that information).

JACUSTOMER-lv8xz36t- :

Thank you. Have a good day and be careful whom you fall in love with haha

tdlawyer :

:) You too!

tdlawyer :

Is there anything more I can clarify for you before you end the chat and I email customer services for you?