Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

HI . I have a property on a mews.it is a workshop left to my

HI . I have a property on a mews.it is a workshop left to my siblings and myself by my parents.we let the workshop for a small rent. I would like to know who actually owns the Mews itself. there are several other businesses along each side but I think it safe to say that we have been there the longest. My Father most probably knew but no one else seems to know . please can you help me to find out? the address is ....
PROSPECT MEWS, PROPECT STREET, READING,BERKS.
THANKYOU.
SONIA
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

may I ask if you have a plan available for the section of road way you wish to check ownership for please?

Customer:

yes I have...TITLE NUMBER= BK355365 ORD.SURVEYPLAN REF SU7073

Joshua :

Thanks. Do you actually hold a plan in your possession that you could use to mark up the area of road you wish to search for the owner?

Customer:

Well yes but no printer facilities. :(

Joshua :

Joshua :

The first step would usually be to carry out a search of the index map. A search of the index map is a procedure whereby you send the land registry plan showing the area you wish to search and they compare that to the register and tell you whether there is a registered proprietor of that area of land or not

Joshua :

If you have a plan already you can use this but if you don't you can have the Land Registy send you one by completing the following form and sending a cheque for £3. It may be simpler / cheaper to beg the use of someones printer if you have an electronic plan

Joshua :

http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/_media/downloads/forms/OC1.pdf

Joshua :

You can obtain the hard copy plan for your property's title which should show the road in question.

Joshua :

Once you have this you can carry out a search of the index map using form SIM (link below). you will need to include a plan 9as above) with your application showing the extent of the area you wish to search which you can mark by hatching it or colouring it as you wish.

Joshua :

www.landregistry.gov.uk/_media/downloads/forms/SIM.pdf‎

Joshua :

there is a fee of 5 pounds in order to carry out the search

Joshua :

the land Registry will then within a few days reply to you and notify you whether there is any registered owner for the road in question and if so provide the name and address from the file. if there is no registered owner and you do not know of anyone who is the owner of the road, then you can consider exercising frontagers rights in respect of the same

Joshua :

frontagers rights allow you to claim ownership of half the width of the road fronting your property - i.e. the road in front of your property to the middle of the road - if there is no known owner of the same.

Joshua :

is there anything above I can clarify for you any further?

Customer:

Thankyou ! The map I have clearly marks the specific area we own and the mews is fully coloured in solid black and so is very obvious.

Joshua :

Thanks - you will see on the SIM form there is a box asking you to identify the area you wish to search. accordingly, you would presumably writing that box "the area coloured in solid black" so the land registry know which area you wish to search

Joshua :

is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer:

would it actually be possible to buy the mews by anyone ... would the other property owners have to be informed ?

Joshua :

if you identify and owner of the mews using the above approach, then you could approach that individual with a request to purchase the road. If there is no owner, then all of the property owners can exercise frontagers rights as to the width of the road in front of their property and together take ownership of the road between you

Joshua :

it is actually possible to register a title jointly using frontagers rights and form either a company or trust to look after a road. A solicitor with experience in property matters can assist with this if it was something you wished to pursue

Customer:

thank you very much !

Joshua :

A pleasure. If I can assist any further as the situation develops please do not hesitate to revert to me

Joshua :

If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to rate my service to you today. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though.

Customer:

O k ...bye for now... :)

Joshua :

Best wishes